Business Services Manager (full time, Wellington)
The 20/20 Communications Trust (20/20) is a registered charity that for twenty years has focused on supporting the opportunity for all New Zealanders to participate in the digital world.
Our Mission is to provide leadership and work with communities to deliver programmes that contribute to New Zealanders’ digital literacy, skills and inclusion.
We believe every New Zealander should:
- Have affordable access to digital devices and services so they can learn, communicate, innovate and enhance wealth.
- Have the basic skills needed to use a device and access the internet.
- Be able to safely transact and engage when online and participate in economic, government, social and cultural activities.
- Be included. No-one is left behind, meaning a focus on disadvantaged groups and including all in our society.
- Be encouraged to create and publish as much digital information as they consume.
With a constant focus on the changing digital landscape, the 20/20 Trust is evolving and expanding into new operational areas. The Trust needs a manager that can support the Executive Director whose work has an increasingly external emphasis. The Business Services Manager is a critical new senior position in the 20/20 management team and is a key element in organisational support and development.
The Business Services Manager is accountable for driving day to day operational excellence across the Trust and will ensure there is adequate operational support to the Executive Director. The Business Services Manager is responsible for the management of business services and systems across the business and will support:
- Robust and effective management
- Efficient operational and business systems
- Sound quality assurance
- Policy compliance
The Business Services Manager will make important decisions on a regular basis and as such is required to develop a comprehensive knowledge of the Trust and its many stakeholders, their operations and governance.
The Business Services Manager will also support the investment, planning and implementation of the business plan priority initiatives as determined by the Executive Director and as identified the Board.
- Supporting the Executive Director in the development and maintenance of the short, medium and long-term development plans.
- Consulting with the Executive Director and other managers to develop and implement efficient and effective operational business systems.
- Facilitate the strong management and accurate reporting of performance.
- Review service contracts and pursue agreements that capitalise on economies of scale.
- Accountable for the ownership of commercial relationships with core services providers and vendors.
- Responsibility for the Trust’s compliance and policy responsibilities.
- Work with the Executive Director to build a high performing team by selecting, assessing, developing, managing and retaining top talent that provide specialist technical and business improvement support.
- Keep abreast of business and information technology innovations and actively investigate potential opportunities which may further enhance the performance of 20/20 and its partners.
- Actively supporting all New Zealanders to participate in the digital world.
Experience and Core competencies
The ideal candidate will have the following experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience at a senior leadership level and ideally experience of guiding a business in a service provider or not for profit model.
- Strong financial ability and experience of developing and managing budgets.
- The ability to manage complex relationships which place competing demands and requirements on the Trust – both internally and externally.
- Delivering and implementing agreed business plans.
- The ability to prioritise effectively to meet competing demands and sponsor several simultaneous large scale projects through to conclusion.
- Successfully developed and implemented business cases.
- Working in complex organisations with multiple business systems that are disparate, require integration and simplification. Can analyse, recommend and introduce new systems and procedures.
- Making high level commercial decisions or resolving issues within a short time frame. The ability to negotiate commercial contracts.
- Managing outsourced services, including service quality and performance to ensure business needs are met.
The ideal candidate will possess the following core competencies.
- Stakeholder focus. Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external stakeholders. Acts with others in mind.
- Informing. Provides the information that people need to do their jobs and feel good about being a team member. Provides individuals with information so that they can make accurate decisions. Information provision is timely, relevant and appropriate.
- Self-knowledge. Knows their own personal strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and limits. Gains insights from mistakes. Is open to criticism. Isn’t defensive. Looks forward to balanced performance reviews and career decisions.
- Action oriented. Enjoys working hard. Is full of energy for the things that are challenging. Experiences personal satisfaction from resolving contentious or seemingly immutable situations.
- Priority setting. Spends personal time and the time of others on what is important. Quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside. Can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal. Eliminates roadblocks. Creates focus.
- Managerial courage. Doesn’t hold back anything from what needs to be said. Provides direct, complete, positive and corrective feedback that can be used by others. Ensures others know where they stand. Faces up to people problems or situations quickly and directly. Is not afraid to act when necessary.
- Integrity and Trust. Is widely trusted. Is seen as a direct, truthful individual. Admits mistakes. Doesn’t misrepresent themselves for personal gain.
- Building Effective Teams. Blends people into teams when needed. Creates strong morale and spirit in teams. Shares wins and successes. Fosters open dialogue. Creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Planning. Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects, sets objectives and goals, breaks down work into process steps and develops tasks, schedules and staff assignments. Anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks. Measures performance against goals and evaluates results.
- Organisational Agility. Is knowledgeable about how organisations work, knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network. Understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies and procedures, understands the cultures of organisations.
- Negotiating. Can negotiate skilfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups. Can settle differences with minimum noise. Can win concessions without damaging relationships. Can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic. Quickly gains the trust of other parties to the negotiations. Has a good sense of timing.
- Interpersonal Savvy. Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down and sideways, inside and outside the organisation. Builds appropriate rapport. Builds constructive and effective relationships. Uses diplomacy and tact. Can diffuse high tension situations comfortably.
Direct Reports (3) Finance and Office Administrator, Client Services Coordinator, Systems Support & Development Coordinator
Reporting to Executive Director
Key Internal Relationships Executive Director, 20/20 national team, Board members, Delivery Partners
Key External Relationships Service Providers, Vendors, Contractors, Accountants
Applications and Information
- To talk informally about the role please contact Stephen Carr, Executive Director, 20/20 Communication Trust on 027 450 4269
- Application forms are available by emailing email@example.com
- Completed application forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and covering letter that explains the strengths of your candidacy.
- Please do not apply via the Seek website
- Applications close on 28 February 2017